The March meeting of Brierley Hill Town Centre Partnership heard of the £5 million funding bid towards a £10 million scheme deliver a step-change in bus user experience at Merry Hill Bus Station and on the wider Brierley Hill bus network.
The government has now announced that they have approved the bid as covered in the Express and Star (merry-hill-bus-station-to-get-10m-overhaul/).
It will address congestion that causes unreliability by focusing on pinch points. The key elements of the proposal are:
- Brand new state of the art bus station, with 25% increase in capacity, full DDA compliance and high quality passenger information and facilities
- Significant highway measures to remove delays and increase reliability for buses in the Brierley Hill area, including a dedicated bus only link and two bus lanes with bus gates. The work will include establish bus only lanes on the Boulevard and opening a bus only link from Merry Hill bus station to the Pedmore Road.
- Segregation of buses from general traffic without loss of highway capacity
- New bus stop infrastructure and RTI at key locations along strategic routes
- New commercial multi-operator Smartcard (e-purse and bus)
- Bespoke marketing and communications campaign
- Workwise support to help 1,090 people into employment
- £2.2.m investment in brand new euro 5 buses
- On Vehicle Displays (Talking Buses) on strategic routes
The bid can be read below: