Now winter is upon us make sure you are prepared for the cold weather by following our 10 steps to keep warm and well:
1. Keep Your Home Warm – your main living room should 18-21°C, and the rest of the house at least 16°C.
2. Save money on you energy bills – replace old light bulbs with energy saving ones, don’t leave appliances on standby and have a shower instead of a bath.
3. Wear the right clothes – several thin layers, a hat, a scarf, a good winter coat with a hood, and shoes with good grips are all essential winter wear!
4. Eat well to stay warm and healthy – a balanced diet will help you keep warm, boost your immune system, fight off colds and make you feel more energetic.
5. Keep moving – try not to sit still for more than 1 hour at a time. Get up and walk around, make a hot drink and spread housework throughout the day.
6. Get a free seasonal flu jab – flu is much more serious than a cold; it often leads to a hospital stay and can be fatal. Contact your GP to make an appointment.
7. Look out for your neighbours – check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may not be able to get out and about.
8. Be prepared – make sure you have enough of your prescription medicines in case you can’t get out in bad weather.
9. See your GP or Pharmacist as soon as you feel unwell – if you can’t wait to see the doctor, you can get advice and free treatment for minor health conditions from your local pharmacist.
10. Take care when going outdoors – icy pavements and roads can be very slippery so take extra care if you go out. Check the forecast with The Met Office www.metoffice.gov.uk or call 0870 900 0100.
If you need help to keep your home warm this winter contact Dudley’s Winter Warmth Hub on 01384 815117. They can offer free, practical, hands-on support and expert advice including help with accessing benefits, switching to the cheapest energy tariff, energy efficiency advice, small scale home improvements and emergency measures such as free heaters, blankets and hot water bottles.